Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Chapter 3 - At Home

When we got home I tried calling Mother, but got only her recording: “The sea and I are very busy.”
There were whole days when she didn't answer the phone, sometimes weeks even. I missed her, but also felt relieved. Mother and the sea were the best of friends, and if she was sitting at home by the telephone, this was usually because they were fighting.
They were both too proud, and neither would be the first to stand up, speak, and make up.

I put the jams on the table, and took the bread out of the oven. The children would be coming in a bit. I didn't know how they would take to Praline, and I was hoping that she would love them, even though they love to yell and don't like to shower.
Rafael the two-year-old entered the house first, threw his coat on the floor, saw Praline, and shouted, “A cat!”
We all burst with laughter.


The children related to Praline as to a small animal and they played together all afternoon. She beat them at cards, but let them find her easily in Hide-and-Seek. She managed to convince them to cut their nails and taught them a song in rhyme.
Daddy called to say he's coming home early...he too has not yet met our guest.


I prepared some meat for him as I always do after I've spent a lot of money or the children have broken something he loves.
We sat around the table, Daddy with his roast, the children with their chicken cutlets, and Praline between them. Daddy stared with amazement at Praline cutting Rafael's chicken. The children looked happy. I smiled; I wasn't in pajamas. Daddy doesn't ask
questions if everything's good...in our house, there have been and always will be miracles.



             Doll by Natcase1

3 comments:

Rella said...

Ohhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhh!! Daddy does not question and all is well. Wondering about Mother and what she and the sea are doing.

total happiness to ready another chapter.

xox Rella

Elkie said...

thanks dear Rella!

Unknown said...

beautiful!